Friday 30 October 2015

Negotiating Changes

Location: Tulum, Q.R., Mexico
Many of you will remember Tom's post Cycle Touring Fatigue where he talked about having a tough time of it; the stress of the uncertainty, the boredom of the routine of the bike tour, the lack of knowledge acquisition and intellectual stimulus. Not to mention his most recent post "What Constitutes a Failed Cycle Tour?" This has been a tough few months for us in many ways with lots of realisations and self-reflection. And we are so grateful for all the messages of support and tales of similar feelings. It's definitely something that tends not to be talked about all that much. Having perused through dozens of blogs and websites of other cycle tourers and travelers the number of times I've come across anyone just saying 'this isn't for me' or 'I'm not having any fun' is extremely rare. Sure there's hardship, people have rough days, weeks, months maybe even, but to admit to not enjoying it overall, to wanting to go home, is rare. The singular example I have come across is an excellent one from Shirine Taylor's blog, AWanderingPhoto.com, in which they flew home early after 2 years on the road. I can totally recommend Shirine's blog, she's a great writer and photographer and an inspiration.

While things have certainly improved in some respects the truth of the matter is that Tom is not a wanderer at heart, at least not a long-term wanderer, and so this trip will not go the full distance so to speak. I, on the other hand, am a wanderer. I can happily amuse myself looking at the flowers by the side of the road, trying (and usually failing) to identify the birds, letting my mind wander as my bike rolls along beneath me. I love it, I don't think it's routine or tedious, I think every day is different, small differences sure, but different. One of the big things we've had to come to terms with in the last few months is that neither Tom or I are right or wrong in our take on the cycle tour. It's just how each of us feels and rather than try to convince the other to come round to our way of thinking we have slowly learned to accept each other's point of view and try to figure out the best way forward for us. This hasn't caused us to fight, but it is a major point of difference so we've been talking a lot about how we both get what we need and how we both get to be happy.

It's really tough. In all honesty I don't want the trip to end, but Tom's happiness is more important than the trip and while it's not more important than my happiness (our individual happinesses are equally important) my happiness is more common and easily found, like blackberries in a British hedgerow. Tom's happiness is rarer and requires some cultivation, so at present we are trying to figure out optimal growing conditions for Tom. The trip was never about proving anything and whilst we intended to be away much longer we always said that if we stopped enjoying it or wanted to change it we would. And I am totally comfortable with this, though it must be said that the blog makes this a little harder. There is a certain level of obligation, felt more keenly by Tom than me, to "not let our readers down". Whatever that means, I'm sure you all have your own stuff going on and would soon get over it!

There is certainly a lot, which for me at least, remains unfinished. At the inception of the trip I didn't really have any great desire to visit or tour Central or South America. Now I feel a definite draw to explore these epic and beautiful countries, preferably by bike. So I very much hope we will be back. And as the tour comes to an end I can't help but reflect on how much has changed since the start, all the sights we've seen and the incredible people we've met, what was left unaccomplished and things that surpassed our most hope-filled dreams. It's been a remarkable journey, something many people have referred to as 'once in a lifetime' but I sincerely hope not. I want a life filled with 'once in a lifetime' experiences that push the boundaries for me, that take me out my comfort zone, that make me see the wonders of the world anew, that make me see how people can shine brighter than the stars and kindness stretch over vast chasms of difference. Life is full of wonder, adventure and joy - we just need to keep looking for it.

And that is what I most desperately fear about going home. It is all too easy to slip back into 'normal life', for the gripes and grinds of the everyday to take up all my days and for me to stop seeing the world for what it is and focus instead on the petty nonsense I find myself tied up with when I'm in normal life. Travel for me is so freeing, so removed from the obligations I place on myself at home, it allows perspective and gives me the time to be grateful for so much. So it is with some apprehension I return, but I am determined to keep the positive impacts of the tour nurtured in the cold, dampness of winter in the UK, to keep the sunshine I've been saving up for eight months shining in my mind and to seek to see the minute differences each day brings and appreciate all I can, wringing every last drop of pleasure, fun and joy out of every day. In this way I hope that at home I can live up to the trail name I was given by Justin and Melissa as much as I can on the road - Rainbow Bright. And with Cake Topper (that's Tom by the way) by my side I think this is just the start of another chapter of a lifetime of adventures. I'm already trying to decide what's next!

5 comments:

  1. This made me feel really sorrowful. I love all the same things when we're on our trips (albeit for just a month) I love the different flowers and birds too. You've both overcome a big obstacle in understanding each other's needs and trying to meet them. How you've dealt with Tom's feelings about the trip is inspiring. I think finding a way to travel that suits both of your needs is important and I've no doubt that you'll manage that together. You can make an extraordinary life for yourself in the UK. You can create a life that fits your needs and try to ignore the pull towards 9-5 work. You can spread your wings as wide as you want and travel and enjoy the stars in the sky, the nip of winter winds on your skin, the chirp of birds and watery winter sunsets. Through this blog I feel your longing to see new things and be alive and free in the world and I understand that. I feel like a different person seeing new things, hearing different languages and taking in every aspect of the place I'm in. You will create a life that allows you both to have as much of what you each want and you'll do it as a team. I feel for you both as I know this trip was so planned for and so anticipated and what it has uncovered is that although you are different you work together and for each other. You make a great team. I know you are both creative enough and passionate enough to create a life together which fulfils you both. All our love. Holly, moo and lex xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw Hols. No need to feel sorrowful and thank you for your incredibly kind words. I'm sure we can navigate an interesting and happy path for us both too. We really appreciate your support and we're looking forward to seeing you all very soon indeed! Big hugs xxx

      Delete
  2. What an amazing adventure it has been... your words are wise. You have nothing to prove or fear as you continue to find joy in everything you do. Live is indeed an adventure. Keep on pedaling and keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Justin. High praise coming from you! We find you and Melissa totally inspiring and hope we can find a way to juggle all the things we want to do, like you guys do. You guys ROCK! Can't wait to meet up again down the road somewhere, who knows where... xxx

      Delete
  3. "One of the big things we've had to come to terms with in the last few months is that neither Tom or I are right or wrong in our take on the cycle tour. It's just how each of us feels and rather than try to convince the other to come round to our way of thinking we have slowly learned to accept each other's point of view"
    What a beautiful way of putting it! No doubt that understanding will come in handy in a multitude of other situations during the rest of your lives xx

    ReplyDelete